Re: including python in the initramfs

On Jun 16, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

OLPC have a security client that runs pre-root-mount in the initramfs
which is quite complex. It is written in Python. As such, we need python
in the initramfs.

/me boggles.

Why can't it run after switching to the real root?

What's the best way to include python in a dracut initramfs?

Don't if it is at all possible to avoid it. Maintaining such a thing will be a nightmare, especially if you want cross distro capability.

One idea: we could create a separate module which installs all the files
identified by "rpm -q --filesbypkg python". But that's obviously not
distro-portable. It could work for us but I'd prefer that we're able to
share the work we're doing with others. Any other ideas?

Split out the parts that have to run on the initramfs, and rewrite them in sh or C.

Thanks,
Daniel