Re: linux-iio and Windows default orientations

Hi,

On 5/12/20 3:55 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Hey,

I'm just dotting the is, and crossing the ts on a bunch of iio-sensor-
proxy documentation and wanted to revisit the IIO documentation,
compared to what Windows, and my implementation did.

Does this:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jic23/iio.git/tree/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-iio#n1638
in particular the "Z" axis:
"Z is perpendicular to the screen plane and positive out of the screen"

match this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/devices-sensors/sensor-orientation
"with the positive z-axis extending out from the device."

Yes I believe that the 2 are stating the same, this is also how the
Z axis works on Android I believe. If you put a phone or tablet
flat on a table with the display up, then you will get a -1.0G or -9.8 m/s²
reading since the gravity is pulling downwards (away from the front of
the screen) with 1G.

This Microsoft page didn't exist when I changed the code to "match
Windows 10" in 2016:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/hadess/iio-sensor-proxy/-/commit/35b6328cbdaa5efa30917c445962d64fd733fb02

(And just to double check, it seems that the other 2 axis do match in
their definitions, right?)

Yes I believe they do, and also again Android's definition.

Regards,

Hans