Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/1] Quadrature Encoder Support

On Mon,  9 Sep 2019 15:16:04 +0300
Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here's a simple RFC for Intel's Quadrature Encoder. Let me make it clear
> that I don't mean we should the following patch as is, rather I'd like
> to open the discussion to, perhaps, extending Industrial Automation
> Framework with support for Quadrature Encoders.
>
> Let me know if you think IIO would be correct place for such devices,
> then I can start reworking the driver to provide an IIO-compliant
> interface.
>
> I'm thinking we would need standard sysfs files for configuring the QEP
> into single-shot QEP mode or buffered Capture mode, configure thresholds
> and other details.

Hi Felipe,

Fairly recently, similar concerns that IIO didn't really suite these
devices lead William to create a specific 'counters' subsystem.
+CC William.

It may not address all of your requirements yet, but I would imagine it
is a better fit than IIO would ever be.  We have moved all the older
counter drivers out of IIO and across to this new subsystem.

Thanks,

Jonathan