Re: problem with driver with driver name and version

On Sat, 2019-07-20 at 02:20 +0530, Kartik Kulkarni wrote:
> [External]
>
> Hello there,
> I wanted to patch the driver for  ad7280a  found at
> /opt/linux-kernel-dev/iio/drivers/staging/iio/adc and found a few
> anomalies which I felt needed to be asked before the patch was
> submitted.
>
> 1.
> ```
> tatic struct spi_driver ad7280_driver = {
>         .driver = {
>                 .name   = "ad7280",

Makes sense to rename this to "ad7280a", so feel free to send a patch just for this.

> ```
> the part of the device id says ad7280 instead of ad7280a which is the
> name of the driver file and looking at the Datasheet there's different
> datasheet for ad7280 and ad7280A and does not mention compatibility
> with each other.(I might be wrong but one had spi interface for 48
> channels and the other has spi interface for 300 channels so I think
> it might not be compatible)
>
> Note: The spi device id contains "ad7280a" and not "ad7280"
> QUESTION:
> Should I send a patch to correct the .compatible with ad7280a instead?
> as a different patch and send another patch which I am working on
> (about of_match which is not present) and add the of_match_array to
> contain the device "ad7280a"

The `of_match_table` patch should be it's own patch.
If you want a send a patch for this, the .compatible string should be "adi,ad7280a".
The `ad7280_id` table is correct.