Re: Raw data block input: is IIO a good choice?

Hi Pavel,

I’m fairly new to IIO, but I am working on a somewhat similar project.  One important question is how you are intending to transport your data from the FPGA to your CPU?  Do you have a DMA engine of some kind, with a linux driver?  Or perhaps a wire protocol, such as SPI or I2C?  What’s your realtime requirements?  That is, if your data rate is 12.5k/sec, so how much buffer space do you have on the hardware?  Typically you would aim to drain the hardware when it is 50% full, so that would give you an idea of how frequently you’d need to service your hardware buffer.

Stock Linux isn’t going to be your friend if your realtime requirements are tight.  Don’t rely on interrupt latencies less than 10s of milliseconds, or even more on busy systems.

Jonah