Re: Linux ELC & OpenIoT Report

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Alison Schofield <amsfield22@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi IIO Community,
>
> I attended the Linux Foundation's Embedded Linux and OpenIoT Summit in
> Portland, Oregon recently.
>
> I've appended a few excerpts from my blog write-up below and the full
> text of my report is available here:
> https://outreachyiio.blogspot.com/2017/03/embedded-linux-conference-openiot.html
>
> alisons
>

> 2 Things that made me go hmmm:
>
> 1) There are developers who believe that user space drivers are more
> efficient than kernel drivers. They don't mean more efficient as in they
> don't want to bother upstreaming the driver. They actually mean more
> efficient in that they think the user space driver performs better.  I
> didn't meet one of those developers...they were only whispered about ;)
>
> 2) Android Things (Intel & Google product) will not use our lovely IIO
> drivers. They will not include any non-essential drivers in the kernel
> image and there will not be a way to rebuild it. They have set up a git
> repository for the world to share user space drivers for sensors.
>
> IIO Community Sightings: Matt Ranostay
> Matt gave a great IIO Subsystem presentation!!! It contained a live demo
> of one of his more recent driver additions: heart rate and pulse
> oximeter. When Matt's hear rate only measured 42, he wrote it off to a
> loose connection, but I'm not convinced. I may go look for a bug in that
> driver ;)

Actually it was because I was talking it was at 42.. it did go back to
~90 in the demo which is more sane
when I stop talking for a few seconds. There is a reason the doctors
tell you to breathe normally and not
talk when taking your blood pressure. Not exactly what you are doing
in a talk though :).

Not doubt there are bugs... but more likely in the oximeter processing
script since there is a lot of peak detection
magic I'm not sure is 100% accurate :).