Re: Outreachy IIO - mentor wanted

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 03:24:03PM +0200, Daniel Baluta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone want to mentor an intern for the Outreachy program?
> https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyIntro
>
> IIO drivers are very good tasks for such an intern, I have been a mentor
> for the last 4 or 5 editions while working on:
>
> * cleaning up drivers and moving them out of staging
> * enhancing the IIO dummy driver and moving it out of staging
> * creating drivers from scratch for simple devices
>
> and it was a nice experience.
>
> What a mentor should do?
>
> In the pre-internship phase (14 February - 16 to March 30)
>
> * review patches and guide applicants on how to find small kernel fixes
> * create small tasks for IIO [this can be mostly borrowed from last years] [1]
> * create a small description for the project and find a small
> device(s) for the project.
>
> In the internship phase [ 3 months starting around May ]
> * help the intern with the setup and hardware
> * (bi)weekly meetings for guidance or just answer interns questions on email.
> * provide feedback to Outreachy on how the intern is doing.
>
> Please let me know or Julia (Cc-ed) if you are interested.
>
> The project doesn't necessary to be IIO related but it must be doable
> by a 3rd/4th
> year CS student with light kernel knowledge and good understanding of C.
>
> thanks,
> Daniel.

I'd be interested in driving this but I don't have an actual project
lined up to offer the applicants.  If someone has a project in mind
and wants to hand it off or co-mentor, let's chat.

I can do the tasks updates and have some small coding tasks queued
for the application period also.

As Daniel and I have experienced, working with the hardware is
the fun part for the intern, but getting the hardware can be a
challenge.  It would be good if you have a sensor in mind, that
you know is obtainable and the work will be applicable in the
May-August timeframe.  That is - we don't want to plan for a sensor
and someone else submits support for it prior to the internship.

Other safer ideas (instead of brand new sensor) might be...
 - adding new features to an existing class of drivers where the
	intern may only need to verify it with one sensor.
 - migrating another driver out of input/misc such as Eva is going
	right now with adxl345.
 - what else has been lingering on your todo/wish list ???

alisons