Re: [RFC] multipixel infrared thermopile sensors

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 2:53 AM, Jonathan Cameron <jic23@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/10/16 18:13, Matt Ranostay wrote:
>> Jonathan et all,
>>
>> Know this has been brought up in the past but what is the view of
>> multipixel infrared thermopiles?
>>
>> Initially I plan to do summing average of all the pixels and report
>> that back, but would like in the future to be able to push the pixel
>> data to the buffers.
>>
>> These of course are weird because they barely fit into iio, but nor do
>> they fit into v4l2 (especially since the data isn't DMA'able).
> DMA isn't really a requirement for v4l2.
>
> Usual rule of thumb that if no one else thinks it's in their scope and
> it measures something it goes in IIO :)
>
> So real question is do the v4l2 people think it should be in there?
>
> My gut feeling is yes.  These things are only going to get bigger as the
> technology moves on so will become more and more camera like.
>
> It's possible we'll ultimately end up bridging one way or the other
> between IIO and v4l2 but only once we have a clean use case for it
> and I'm not convinced this is one yet...
>
> Though maybe it is if exporting the average of pixels is actually how
> these devices are typically used...

Seem likely we need to have a v4l2 interface... esp for the that FLIR
module awhile back... (seems people made a module that was a USB class
device to avoid this :))

Only issue is that there are temperature trip points that can be set
which don't translate to v4l2...
And v4l2 is more DMA buffer driven but I guess a polling driver was
going to happen at some point...