Re: accelerometer orientation

Hi,

On 18-09-16 21:32, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
On 12/09/16 17:15, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 12-09-16 17:39, Bastien Nocera wrote:
Hey,

On Mon, 2016-09-12 at 17:25 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi Bastien,

So as I guess you sorta know in my spare time I work on Linux
(mainline) support for Allwinner SoC based ARM devices, including
a whole lot of cheap Chinese tablets.

Recently I've begun looking into supporting the accelerometers
on these devices and I'm making good progress on getting the
kernel bits working using iio drivers (including a few new
ones I've written recently).

Yesterday I realized there is a bit of a catch though, all
these iio drivers report results assuming that the accelerometer
is mounted on the top side of the PCB and with its X/Y
coordination properly taken info account.

Unfortunately neither is necessarily true. Almost all
tablet PCBS are mounted upside down (with an empty PCB
backside against the lcd-panel. Meaning that the Z axis
reads -1G when the tablet is lying on its back instead
of the expected +1G and some need X/Y axis swapping and/or
inversion too.

So there are 3 problems here:

1) Where do we store the orientation of the chip

<snip>
2) Where do we correct the readings for the orientation
<snip>
3) Currently implementing orientation support in an iio driver
requires copy and pasting quite a bit of boiler plate, so
a question to the linux-iio list, has anyone though of an
easier way to do this. I really just want to be able to
pass say a single flag to iio_device_register and then
have the iio-core automatically call of_iio_read_mount_matrix()
and add mount_matrix ext_info.
Hmm. Whilst it all seems simple, that flag is going to be
non trivial.  There are too many 'sensible' options

The flag is not there to provide all the options, it is just
there to tell the core to call of_iio_read_mount_matrix()
and if that returns an non default matrix then add the
mount_matrix ext_info.

So it would really be just a boolean.

and in compact
devices event aligning with axes doesn't always happen.

Might be room for a some utility functions to reduced boiler plate
though.

All good ideas, but we need a way to do this for devices without DT
(meaning all of the x86 tablets).

Yes, so I've also been working on a touchscreen driver for silead
touchscreen controllers (the gsl1680 and compatibles), which has
the same problem, e.g. it needs tablet model specific firmware,
so we need to provide a per tablet firmware name, and also
things like resolution and orientation are different per model
tablet. I now have 2 x86 tablets with such touchscreens, my plan
for the silead driver is to use dmi info to identify the tablet
and have a tablet with per tablet info inside the driver, this
is not so easy to extend as the udev hw db, but in this case
the info is needed inside the actual driver for things to work
properly.
Why?  Seems to me that there ought to be somewhere to massage
that data on it's path from kernel to anywhere useful...

Well for one the touchscreen controller needs to be initialized
with a digitizer specific firmware file and since we want to
be able to habe say a single usb live image with multiple x86
work on multiple tablets that means specifying a tablet specific
firmware file-name to pass to the in-kernel firmware loader.

An other issue is that there are multiple consumers of the kernel
evdev interface and they all expect evdev events to be ready
to use and not require more processing (other then maybe applying
a calibration matrix on resistive touchscreens).

Perhaps iio-sensor-proxy could read from udev instead, and udev either
pull from DT when available, or apply from its own rules?

Directly pulling from dt is not really convenient and iio
already more or less has standardized on the mount_matrix
sysfs attribute. I think it might be best to make the
mount_matrix sysfs attribute writable and then udev can
write the correct settings there for x86 tablets at
least. So to any iio devs reading this thread:
would making the mount_matrix sysfs attribute writable
be an acceptable solution ?
It's really ugly to push data into the kernel just in order
to be able to read it directly out of the same interface.

That is actually exactly what evdev is doing, e.g. for ps/2
keyboards the non standardized keycodes for e.g. brightness
hotkeys on laptops are read from a laptop specific udev hwdb
entry and then loaded into the kernels scancode to evdev button
code table for the ps/2 keyboard evdev device.

Likewise hwdb may be used to adjust to the abs axis min/max values
reported by touchpads since some touchpads lie about these
(both under and over reporting of the range happens).

My gut reaction to this is that we need something in between
in user space which can 'massage' the mount matrix as it
sees fit.

Well we've 2 paths we're walking here, one which already
has been established is the mount-matrix sits in dt, gets
read by of_iio_read_mount_matrix() and then exported as
a mount_matrix sysfs attribute. The other is a yet to be
designed path for x86+efi/acpi devices which we are
discussing now. IMHO it would be good to present the
same interface to userspace for both paths.

And as my evdev examples show there us precedence
for loading such info from userspace into the kernel
for hw where it is inconvenient for the kernel to get
the info itself. The writing would of course be a root-only
thing.

Should be possible to get udev to feed back the mount matrix
if present I think... Udev not something I like
to go near (or have in fact gone near in many years).

Using an udev attribute definitely is an option here and udev
needs to be involved on x86 one way or the other anyways, but
I would like to keep udev out of the dt path since it is not
necessary there.

Regards,

Hans