AHCI hotplug no longer functions on ICH7

Hi,

I have a hot swap bay connected to an Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family
SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:27c1] (rev 01) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
and since commit 7627a0edef54 ("ata: ahci: Drop low power policy board
type") SATA AHCI hotplug no longer functions. Plugging a device in after
the system has booted results in it not being detected.

Looking at ahci_update_initial_lpm_policy(), it is evident that
ATA_PFLAG_EXTERNAL is not set (ad->pflags == 0x84 when the function is
called) and there is no option in firmware to mark these ports as external.

My kernel was always built with CONFIG_SATA_MOBILE_LPM_POLICY=3. Booting
with ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=2 or ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=1 results in the
device being detected on hotplug, but the unplug event is never detected
and the system thinks the device remains connected, resulting in hangs.

The only way to restore functionality is with ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=0,
which if I am not mistaken has the same effect as an early return. Is
this the intended way of getting hotplug to work again from now on, on
systems that don't mark ports as external, or is this a regression?

Thank you for your time.

--
Tasos