Re: The SATA_ini162x.

On 2/23/23 06:28, Ioannis Barkas wrote:
> Hello Magnus,
>
> I will give you more details about it since I reported the issue with
> this controller many years ago.
>
> Yes you can activate the driver but you will need to enable this
> driver and build your own kernel. That is needed since the driver is
> disabled by default. There is at least one underlying issue that has
> got unnoticed and has not been solved yet thus the driver is
> considered experimental. My PCI card has an eSATA connector routed to
> port 0 and a SATA connector routed to port 1. Back then, I had tested
> the SATA port and believed that the driver could only handle port 0.
>
> Damien if you are willing to investigate this and help me fix it, I am
> at your disposal. I still have the card with this controller, the
> datasheet of the IC manufacturer, an AMD based PC with a PCI slot and
> lots of disks for testing. What is more, I had done some tests back in
> December and the issue remains. Here is what 6.1 prints:
> [    1.947670] sata_inic162x 0000:05:06.0: version 0.4
> [    1.947716] sata_inic162x 0000:05:06.0: inic162x support is broken
> with common data corruption issues and will be disabled by default,
> contact linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if in production use
>
> Here is the problem:
> [    3.285163] ata8.00: native sectors (1) is smaller than sectors (976773168)

Are you using drives with HPA ? (host protected area, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area).

That normally is drive dependent, not adapter dependent. And with TCG now, HPA
is not really a thing anymore and not used on any recent drive (that I know of
at least).

Could you try with recent drives (HDDs or SSDs) that do not have HPA ? And maybe
also try to see if the libata argument "ata_ignore_hpa=1" helps.

You could also try adding a horkage for that HPA drive (see
ATA_HORKAGE_BROKEN_HPA examples in libata-core.c, ata_device_blacklist array).
Note to self: there is unfortunately no libata.force= argument for hpa. Will
need to add that.

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research