Re: [GIT PULL] Revert ata fix for 5.17-rc2

On Fri, 2022-01-28 at 18:34 +0200, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 2:10 PM Damien Le Moal
> <damien.lemoal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I forgot about the umn.edu situation and accepted a patch, which
> > was the single
> > fix in my earlier pull request. This pull request reverts the
> > patch. My
> > apologies for the noise.
>
> Gaah. The patch looks valid, so I think reverting it just for the umn
> situation is not only noise, but a bit unnecessary.
>
> I'm adding Greg to the cc, since he was the one most involved with
> that whole thing and maybe he feels otherwise, but I'll drop this
> revert for now on the assumption that it's fine.

The patch as fixed by Damien looks reasonable, although I don't think
it actually fixes anything ... if we get an ENOMEM there the system
won't boot because you likely can't contact your root drive, so an oops
would make the point more vividly.

However, the original patch:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220124164525.53068-1-zhou1615@xxxxxxx/

does look suspiciously like a fishing attempt to see if we'd notice the
logic inversion in the supposed null check.

James