Re: Drive reset as an EH strategy when write cache is enabled

James Bottomley writes:

> As Christoph said it would be stupid behaviour to invalidate the cache
> after a hard reset because it would cause all deferred writes to fail.
> The SCSI standards committee did initially assume manufacturers knew
> this, but it was codified in SBC-4 and beyond with an explicit list of
> conditions under which the write back cache could be lost, which
> doesn't include hard reset.

Wow... so a hard reset is in fact, not really a hard reset?  I can see a
soft reset maybe preserving the cache but I would expect a hard reset to
be equal to pulsing the ^RST line.  In fact, my understanding from
reading the SATA spec was that the hard reset bus condition was intended
to be detected by the PHY layer and pulse the ^RST signal to the higher
level logic.  Wait... SBC-4 applies to ATA disks too?