Re: configurable discard parameters

On 25 June 2015 at 09:15, Martin K. Petersen <martin.petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The drive reporting deterministic zero is not enough. It needs to be
> explicitly whitelisted before we report discard_zeroes_data=1.

Not sure what you mean here. I just meant I don't think the "lower
limit" thing I am experiencing is related to the "type" of TRIM, at
least not for any Deterministic TRIM. (Although I don't really know
what exactly does Deterministic Read Data means. Perhaps it means
vendor would make sure the LBA after TRIM reads either zero or a
specific pattern of data?)

> I have several older drives that expect a single contiguous LBA
> range. They don't handle multiple discontiguous ranges at all.

Well discontiguous is somewhat inaccurate here. I guess what you mean
is they simply don't handle the next range until the previous one is
used up. For example, "0:65528, 65528:65528" are definitely
contiguous, but not fulfiling the requirement of your drives; while
"0:65535 131072:65535" are definitely not contiguous, but your drives
take them fine.

By the way what are the consequences? Data loss? System hang?