64 bit kernel won't mount /

Greetings;

Amd Phenom, 8Gb of dram on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe board.  So old USB3
isn't.

Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS 32 bit server install here.  A recent experiment with a
32 bit Wheezy (2.7) worked extremely well when I enabled it to install an
amd64 kernel, fastest and smoothest this machine has ever worked.
Unfortunately I destroyed it by installing a library firefox was
complaining about the lack thereof, it pulled in about 20 other packages
and destroyed what little KDE I had installed to be able to use kmail.

I have been reading up on man fstab, but it has not solved my problem of
the boot waiting, sometimes for 30 seconds, for the drive to be mounted at
/ to appear.  There is no disk activity during this wait period, and it
does not always do it when booting a 32 bit PAE kernel.

But if I build an amd64 version of that kernel, it stops dead, no disk
activity after announcing that the / device has not yet checked in.

But, after waiting a minute, I hit m to get what is marked as a root
terminal, but which has no rights, I see that the directory contents of /
are visible.

Fdisk complains that there are 3503 unallocated 512 byte sectors after
partition 1 on the disk, but its been doing that for 3 or 4 years.
Terrabyte disk so its not seriously effected unless it slows it somehow
that I haven't noticed.

On wheezy, for as long as it worked, it worked a treat.

Suggested fix for the 64 bit boot stall? I am familiar with make xconfig.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)