Re: Marvell 88SE9320 SATA controller failure during heavy load

> I've seen several models of WD drive  which fail when you issue SMART
> commands during heavy I/O load, (all older vintages of drive than yours,
> but I've largely avoided WD since then so couldn't say with much
> certainty if they've fixed these issues in their drive firmware).

I will check this by attaching the disks to the MB SATA ports.

> I've also seen multiple failures under load with multiple Marvell
> controllers (all Marvell AHCI controllers) unless NCQ is disabled.  Best
> guess is that this is due to a long standing controller design fault.

I would still consider the possibility that there's a compatibility
issue with the AHCI driver. Given the popularity of the Marvell chips,
I think it's worth investigating where the problem really is and
ensuring Linux works reliably with these controllers as well.

> If I were seeing this problem, and I had a spare PCIe slot, then I'd
> swap out the Marvell based controller for either 2x Silicon Image 3132
> based cards, or alternatively 2x Asmedia 1061 (e.g. SY-PEX40039), to see
> if the problems go away.

Cannot do that. I have no PCIe slots left.

Thanks,

Jeroen.