Re: [nForce4] - Repeatable issues with nForce 4

On 1 December 2014 at 06:52, Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Jacobo Pantoja
> <jacobopantoja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It would appear that (in at least 3 of the 4 pictures) the lockup is
>>> happening during softreset. You can try changing this code in
>>> sata_nv.c:
>>>
>>>     /* Do hardreset iff it's post-boot probing, please read the
>>>      * comment above port ops for details.
>>>      */
>>>     if (!(link->ap->pflags & ATA_PFLAG_LOADING) &&
>>>         !ata_dev_enabled(link->device))
>>>         sata_link_hardreset(link, sata_deb_timing_hotplug, deadline,
>>>                     NULL, NULL);
>>>     else {
>>>         const unsigned long *timing = sata_ehc_deb_timing(ehc);
>>>         int rc;
>>>
>>>         if (!(ehc->i.flags & ATA_EHI_QUIET))
>>>             ata_link_info(link,
>>>                       "nv: skipping hardreset on occupied port\n");
>>>
>>>         /* make sure the link is online */
>>>         rc = sata_link_resume(link, timing, deadline);
>>>         /* whine about phy resume failure but proceed */
>>>         if (rc && rc != -EOPNOTSUPP)
>>>             ata_link_warn(link, "failed to resume link (errno=%d)\n",
>>>                       rc);
>>>     }
>>>
>>> to just hard-reset unconditionally:
>>>
>>>         sata_link_hardreset(link, sata_deb_timing_hotplug, deadline,
>>>                     NULL, NULL);
>>>
>>> and see what that does to the behavior. This function has to deal with
>>> quite the comedy of errors that is reset handling on NV SATA, and it
>>> may be that the actual error-handling case is one where a hardreset is
>>> actually needed.
>>>

>> Still same behaviour. I don't understand why does it softreset still
>> (but my knowledge is limited), I have checked several times that I
>> have modified the code as you proposed. Perhaps the code deciding
>> whether soft or hard is placed in a different area or file?
>>
>> I have uploaded 4 new pictures, and again, one is different than the rest.
>
> Looks like it's doing a hardreset now (apparently successfully).
> However the reason it still does a softreset anyway is this at the end
> of nv_hardreset:
>
>         /* device signature acquisition is unreliable */
>         return -EAGAIN;
>
> Try changing that to:
>
>         return 0;
>
> and see if that changes the behavior. That should make it skip the
> soft-reset. Whether or not the device works or not after that, or if
> it still locks up at some later point, we'll see.

Ok, after changing -EAGAIN to 0, I cannot boot it completely (it
cannot find the rootfs). Every 10s aprox. it stops, but after some 10
tries, it gives up with a panic.

I have made pictures but not processed yet (I will soon, but I doubt
they are going to be useful).

I guess that the only useful stuff I can do is booting from a USB.
With my MoBo it is difficult, I will have to play with GRUB.

I will be back.