Highpoint DC7280

My company got hold of a Highpoint DC7280 for evaluation purposes. As we
weren't that much impressed - mostly due abysmal propetiary drivers and
support - I got it as a toy gift to play at home.

Abstract in novella form: it is a dirt cheap 32 Port SATA-Controller. It
features eight Marvell Chips each with a four port SATA Port Multiplier.
Highpoint has abandoned all support (as usual) right a week before
releasing it and the driver - dated 2011-06 - needs even some fiddling
to compile under 3.0. Then it crashed upon writing. Besides that it is
not THAT bad... gets around 250MB/s per Controller even with all eight
controllers under maximum load.

Is anyone else poking it with a stick?

[1] http://www.highpoint-tech.cn/PDF/DC7280/DC7280_DS.pdf

[2]
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/DC7280/driver/Linux/dc7280-linux-src-v1.0-110621-1313.tar.gz
 (if KERNELVERSION==2.6 then... ok, so much about that one...)

--
Christian Brandt

 life is short and in most cases it ends with death
 but my tombstone will carry the hiscore