Re: JMicron Technology JMB362 JMB363 SError: { DevExch } ExpressCard, sometimes fails to boot

(Aries: sorry for the duplicate message)
Hi,

Orson wrote:

> I installed WinXP SP3 as a dual boot option onto my HP NX6325.
> I booted into windows and my dual port express card was found immediately, I
> installed the latest driver from J Micron and everything seemed to be OK.
> I looked through the winxp system messages and all was OK, I looked through
> device manager and it said everything was OK, all resources were OK.
> I attached an external esata drive and it was detected instantly and was
> available in my list of drives, I copied some files over, all went OK, I ran
> scandisk to check the drive and all went OK, the drive did not seem to
> re-attach itself or give any errors.  So it seems to work fine in windows.

All right; looks like the hardware works.

> I then shut down my laptop and removed the esata drive and booted into Debian
> wheezy, same error appeared during boot (without any drive attached)
> irq_stat 0x00000040, connection status changed
> ata1: SError: { PHYInt CommWake DevExch }
> ata1: hard resetting link
> ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-32)
> ata1: reset failed (errno=-32), retrying in 8 secs
> ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
> ata1: hard resetting link
> ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 310)
> ata1: EH complete
>
> etc, etc.

Right.

> I booted back to windows and all was OK, but, here is what I have found, if I
> boot into Linux from windows without shutting down (warm boot) then the
> express card is initialised in Debian without problems and works as normal, if
> I shut down and cold boot straight to Debian, the error appears again.

Interesting.  So it sounds like Windows is doing some initialization
that Linux does not.

> Perhaps the card is faulty or (I suspect) there is a problem with the bios on
> the NX6325, the latest bios is dated 2007 and HP seem to have stopped
> supporting this model, even though mine was purchased new in 2007.

Please send "acpidump" output as an attachment for reference.

> Anyway, because the express card is so cheap I have just ordered a replacement
> of the same type, so this will tell me if it's the card that is at fault.

Ok.  Thanks for your work.

linux-ide folks: any ideas for debugging this further?  For example,
is there a way to find the difference between the state after a cold
boot and a warm boot from windows?

Ciao,
Jonathan