Re: PMP and Smart Enclosure ...

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 03:54:40PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> following up on a thread about PMP and SEP from earlier this
> year, I have now prepared a test system which should allow
> me to control all involved parts (i.e. SATA controller, PMP
> and the SEP) for testing and debugging ...

> during the initial system tests, I found some strange
> behaviour, which I am unable to explain, and it might as
> well be a SATA/PMP bug in Linux ...

> the problem basically arises when I pull a drive from the
> enclosure (without telling Linux first), wait some time
> till the kernel becomes aware of the fact, and then put it
> back into the enclosure ...

> at this point, the drive indicator (PMP and the drive one)
> goes on, the drive spins up, but Linux refuses to detect
> the device ... I tried the following things:

>  echo "- - -" >/sys/class/scsi_host/host9/scan

>  scsiadd -s 9

>  resetting the PMP (via small front panel button)

> note that the target is still listed in sysfs:
> # ls /sys/class/scsi_host/host9/device/
> power/  scsi_host/  subsystem@  target9:0:0/  target9:1:0/  target9:2:0/  target9:3:0/  target9:4:0/  uevent

> only way to get the device back seems to be to remove the
> driver (rmmod sata_sil24) and to reload it again, which is
> probably a little tricky assuming that the other disks are
> in use :)

just for the fun of doing it, I tried to tell Linux first that
the drive will be removed (via scsiadd -r) and discovered that
this causes an even stranger effect:

# scsiadd -r 13 4 0 0		; seems to remove the target
# scsiadd -a 13 4 0 0		; seems to add back the target

Host: scsi13 Channel: 04 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST31000340AS     Rev: SD15
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI  SCSI revision: 05

and sometimes, the devices comes back with a different device
entry but the same scsi bus/chan/id/lun, in which case, it
cannot be removed via scsiadd -r anymore, as it just returns

 could not remove device 13 4 0 0 : No such device or address

also note that this doesn't change the fact that the device is
lost till the driver is reloaded once it is unplugged ...