Re: spinlock recursion in scsi_end_request() (kernel 2.6.24)

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/17/2010 01:32 PM, Prashant wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a board with backplane for SATA disks. Sometimes when  I unplug
>> a disk while
>> IO is going on, I get following problem. Has anybody of you
>> experienced this before?
>> Sometimes spinlock owner is kblockd, sometimes it is scsi_eh.
>
> Sorry but 2.6.24 is way too ancient at this point and too much has
> changed.  Can you please try a recent kernel and see whether the
> problem is reproducible?

Okay I 'll update If I get same problem with latest kernel (will take
lot of time).

I have a question related to code which is almost same in the current kernel.
I don't know whether this is the right mailing list for the following question.

When a sata drive is unplugged, its corresponding sdev's state is set
to SDEV_OFFLINE. Now if IO requests are still comming on the same device,
They will be killed by calling scsi_kill_request().

1) scsi_kill_request does following things:
    i) Unlock request queue
    ii) Increment host_busy count
    iii) Lock request queue
    iv) Calls __scsi_done()

2) __scsi_done() does following things:
     i) set request completion data
     ii) Calls blk_completion_request()

3) blk_completion_request() does following things:
     i) Adds request->donelist to blk_cpu_done softirq queue
        and raise the softirq (which is scsi_softirq_done)

4) next sequence is:
    scsi_softirq_done >> scsi_finish_command >> scsi_device_unbusy()

5) scsi_device_unbusy() again locks the request_queue. This is the place where
    we can get into the spinlock recursion.

    Is this correct? Please correct me if something is wrong.

Thanks,
Prashant