Re: Software RAID Problem

On 07/29/2009 09:40 AM, Randy Broman wrote:
Per your instructions .... I tail -f'd /var/log/dmesg and
/var/l0g/messages,
and then executed the four mdadm commands below, for the faulty array.
After removing and re-adding the faulty disk partition to the array, the
array
returns to faulty state almost immediately. During the process, dmesg
didn't
show anything, but the information written to /var/log/messages is at the
bottom hereto.

I suppose one answer is that there's a hardware issue with the array, or
one of the disks. But that would be surprising to me - both the hardware
array and the disks are new, and the setup (hardware/software/RAID) worked
fine until I tried to upgrade my kernel. Possibly RAID-related formats are
different between kernel 2.6.28 and 2.6.31????

Anyway, would appreciate diagnosis/recommendations ...

The output looks a bit scrambled and seems to be missing certain lines (we see hardresets but not any error that triggered it). Sometimes that seems to happen if disk problems are occurring (kernel logger buffer overflows or something). If the kernel messages are showing up in /var/log/messages then they should be showing up in dmesg and would be more complete. Can you check again?