Re: Question about LS120 floppies

On 07/02/2009 11:12 AM, Alan Cox wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:01:02 -0500
Larry Finger<Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Robert Hancock wrote:
On 07/01/2009 02:30 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
I have been trying to help someone on the openSUSE forums. He is
running a 2.6.27 kernel and finds that his "Super Floppy" drive works
Are they using the old IDE drivers, or libata? Do they have any kernel
output, etc?
In 2.6.27, I think he has the old IDE driver, but I'm not sure. In any
case, the entire thread on the openSUSE forum is at

http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/417147-ls-120-opensuse-11-a.html

Thanks for any help you can give.

Basically four content free pages. Ignoring all the stuff about HAL the
hardware is detected and the drive reports that the media type is not
supported.

That all appears to be working beautifully, although I've no idea why the
media type is not supported - I wonder if something is trying to read the
wrong block sizes or if the LS120 has some magic no standard bits.

Unfortunately they are very very obscure hardware.

Yes, definitely a lot of uninformed speculation on that thread. The floppy driver has nothing to do with any IDE/ATA drive like this, and if OpenSUSE is using libata drivers then attempting to load the IDE floppy driver is also useless.

It would be useful if the reporter could verify that the drive is at all functional with that media under any OS. That "Cannot read medium - unknown format" is being reported by the drive itself in response to a "read capacity" request, not the driver. So unless there's some magic that the driver needs to do to get the drive to recognize the disc, it seems like a hardware problem.