Re: LSF Papers online?

James Bottomley wrote:

On a final note about the urgency of getting libata out of SCSI: Intel
has been worrying for a while about the fatness of the SCSI/libata
stack, and its effects on performance, especially command transmission
via SAT, so I'm hoping they'll be supporting the effort.

I really don't see this as being a big driver for this move. If you look at the code that does the translation of SCSI commands to ATA commands, there really is not much there at all of any consequence to CPU usage. Compared to any kind of hardware/controller interactions I wouldn't say it's likely to be a significant bottleneck at all. In oprofile runs I've done with heavy ATA activity, the top time consumers are the interrupt handlers, command issue paths, code that actually is poking IO registers. The libata-scsi code hasn't even shown up on the radar in my experience.