Re: LSF Papers online?

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
We actually used quite a lot of libata PATA changes on the host driver front
(though because of the lack of incremental libata PATA changes and the need
to fix some IDE specific issues first this was not that easy) so maybe if we
could agree on some mid-point way back in 2005 we would be in a completely
different place today.

Lets not repeat the history again.

The fact that it is much harder to do nowadays than in 2004-2005 (without
ATAPI support, PATA support and heavy dependence on SCSI infrastructure)
is only _your_ fault.
Really - you could have contributed too. Anyway I wrote most of the PATA
bits, Tejun wrote a ton of stuff including EH, and Albert Lee wrote
chunks of it too.

I did a bit work.  Check your host drivers. :)

So that would be Red Hat, SuSE and IBM who are to blame right, not just
Jeff ? Sounds like a conspiracy to me ;)

There is no conspiracy there.

Just the good old game known from elsewhere.

Top layer modern day kernel hacking is based on business principles.

However, like they say "Hate the Game, Not the Player". :)

There is really nothing wrong with it as long as we don't state
otherwise to new people so they are fully aware of the situation.

Actually, libata got started even before I was at Red Hat. As I alluded to at the bottom of the libata announcement[1], rewriting the IDE driver into something clean and modern was one of my Projects To Do Before I Die -- that is, projects not sponsored by any business or group or conspiracy, but rather things I feel personally are very important to the advancement of Linux.

And I have been very fortunate that other talented hackers (including yourself) have been willing to work on one of my dream projects.

	Jeff

[1] http://www.kernel-traffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20030616_219.html#7