Re: Problems with >3 drives on an eSATA portmultiplier

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Grant Grundler wrote:

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Justin Fletcher <gerph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hiya,

The system I'm using is a MSI motherboard, with a SiI eSATA controller (a
3132, specifically this one:
http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=15995 ) connected
though the only PCI express card on the MB.

2.6.29 kernel + SII 3132 SATA controller should work fine with 3726 PMP.

I'm skeptical it's a driver problem. But I've not tested recent
kernels with that config.
I do know 2.6.26 does work with that config.

I could drop down to 2.6.26 and rebuild my kernel with support for that controller - I hadn't done this before because I cannot then use my DVB-S card, but... I could live without that for the test.

I'm unsure of where the problem might lie; if it's not a driver problem and the PSU isn't the issue, then the only variable left (I think) is the bridge board itself. AKA "The expensive bit" :-)

[snip]

During testing combinations of drives have been changed, and the bridge
board ports that they are plugged in to. This has not appeared to make any
difference - the factor in this equation is the number of drives that are
connected.

This suggests the power supply is now failing to provide adequate power
for drive spinup. The WD "Green" drives certainly use less power during
normal operation (IIRC, they are 5400 RPM and only 3 platter). But they
will need substantially more to spinup.

Happen to have another PSU that could provide power to the drives?
Ie build the same topology with 3132 + 3726 but power it with a
different (or multiple) PSU.

I've replaced the PSU once already - it was replaced on 6th Feb, with a Sumvision 450W 20+4pin SATA PSU. Those 5 drives + the bridge board and fan are the only things being powered by that PSU. I should have thought that even during drive initialisation 5 drives wouldn't exceed 450W. Anyhow, this was one of my first thoughts. I could get another PSU (I think I might be able to find one around here), but having replaced it so recently, I'm uncomfortable doing so.

Is a 450W PSU going to be able to supply enough power for those drives ?

--
Gerph <http://gerph.org/>
[ All information, speculation, opinion or data within, or attached to,