Re: SATL support for hdparm?

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 06:57:33PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:

I have a bunch of SATA disks hanging off a SAS expander on which I
would like to disable APM (using hdparm -B).  This doesn't work as-is,
and from reading:

	http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/smartmontools_scsi.html

it appears that I'd need to hack hdparm to use the ATA PASS THROUGH
SCSI command to make it talk to SATA disks behind a SAS expander, as
was already done for smartctl.  Did anyone implement something like
this for hdparm yet by any chance?
It actually does that already.  What version are you trying with?

I tried with 9.10.  Ah yes, now I see that the man page mentions SAT,
but it doesn't appear to be detecting that it needs to do that.

Grab the latest from sourceforge (9.10 or 9.11) and try again.

If it still doesn't work with that, then let me know and we'll sort
it out.

I get this when trying to set -B 254 (in an attempt to turn off head
unload/load -- these are WD drives that do that quite frequently):

	[root@heth hdparm-9.10]# ./hdparm -B 254 /dev/sdb

	/dev/sdb:
	 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
	 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error
[root@heth hdparm-9.10]#
I don't see it issuing any SG_IO ioctls with command byte being 0xA1
or 0xA5 -- I don't see it issuing SG_IO at all:
..

That would be because it didn't see SG_IO defined in the header files
against which it was compiled.  Have a look at your /usr/include/scsi/sg.h
file and ensure it has SG_IO defined in there.

Cheers
--
Mark Lord
Real-Time Remedies Inc.