Re: Port Multiplier access with Sil 3124

Tejun Heo wrote:
Linda Walsh wrote:
    I also had a triple Seagate drive failure within 2 months,
two of them within a week -- and I did lose *backups* of my primary
drives!

My test disks go through a lot of unusual workloads which often
include frequent emergency head unloads with immediately following
spin up and Seagate has been the sturdiest for quite some time now.
It's sad to hear that they're degressing.  :-(

It seems like most of the problems have been firmware and not mechanical, but a coworker did have a Seagate 7200.11 disk recently start getting SMART errors, which doesn't seem like any of the usual firmware symptoms that have been reported.

Went with a WD Caviar Black for a recent drive purchase instead.. hopefully Seagate will get their act together for the next models.