Re: TRIM vs UNMAP vs WRITE SAME and thin devices

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 15:50 -0700, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:09:32AM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 09:53 -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> > > I have been poked at by some vendors about the status of our support for
> > > the virtually/thinly provisioned luns since they are getting close to
> > > being able to test with real devices.
> >
> > With my LSF hat on, a certain array vendor might be sponsoring to get
> > the opportunity to raise this issue more fully.  The impression (mostly
> > correct) is that we're thinking about trim/unmap purely from the SSD FTL
> > point of view and perhaps not being as useful as we might to virtually
> > provisioned LUNs ... so you could mention to the other vendors that they
> > might have an interest in coming (and even possibly sponsoring).
>
> I thought we had agreed on a plan which satisfied the SSD and insane
> array vendors.

I don't think we got any input from array vendors, so it's rather hard
to claim this.  So part of this idea would be gathering the necessary
inputs.

>   That is that we would do no tracking of allocation units
> in the filesystem, but instead extend each trim out to cover the maximum
> possible size.  I've confirmed with Intel's SSD people that this would
> cause them no harm at all (trimming already trimmed sectors won't even
> cause a slowdown).  Whether the filesystem people have taken note of
> this, I have no idea.

It's one idea, but absent requirements from array vendors, we don't
really know if it's the right one.

James