Re: Compiling ahci.c as a module for the 2.6.18.8 kernel

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:19:36 -0000
"Ian Atkin" <ian.atkin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile ahci.c as a loadable module for the 2.6.18.8 kernel
> which I used a PXE environment. This is so that I can see disks on the new
> generation of hardware coming out with the ICH10 SATA controllers.
>
> I've downloaded my Linux 2.6.28 source

You'll also need to update all the config scripts and Makefile bits. Even
if you do that however 2.6.18 and 2.6.28 are somewhat different -
sufficiently different it wouldn't build or work.

There is a backport of the later ATA code for kernels of that sort of era
in RHEL and thus Centos that might be more helpful to you, but its a
backport of the entire layer rather than just odd driver bits.

Assuming you don't need any of the latest and greatest features however
the 2.6.18 ahci driver *ought* to drive the ICH10 SATA controller just
fine if you add the idents from 2.6.28 (or the class match for AHCI) to
it