Re: SSD data reliable vs. unreliable [Was: Re: Data Recovery from SSDs - Impact of trim?]

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 15:40 -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > Just to make sure I understand, with the proposed trim updates to the
> > ATA spec (T13/e08137r2 draft), a SSD can have two kinds of data.
> >
> > Reliable and unreliable.  Where unreliable can return zeros, ones, old
> > data, random made up data, old data slightly adulterated, etc..
> >
> > And there is no way for the kernel to distinguish if the particular
> > data it is getting from the SSD is of the reliable or unreliable type?
> >
> > For the unreliable data, if the determistic bit is set in the identify
> > block, then the kernel can be assured of reading the same unreliable
> > data repeatedly, but still it has no way of knowing the data it is
> > reading was ever even written to the SSD in the first place.
> >
> > That just seems unacceptable.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> Hi Greg,
>
> I sat in on a similar discussion in T10 . With luck, the T13 people have
> the same high level design:
>
> (1) following a write to sector X, any subsequent read of X will return
> that data
> (2) once you DISCARD/UNMAP sector X, the device can return any state
> (stale data, all 1's, all 0's) on the next read of that sector, but must
> continue to return that data on following reads until the sector is
> rewritten

Actually, the latest draft:

extends this behaviour: If the array has read capacity(16) TPRZ bit set
then the return for an unmapped block is always zero.  If TPRZ isn't
set, it's undefined but consistent.  I think TPRZ is there to address
security concerns.

James