Re: PATA timeouts on old thinkpad

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:37:23AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:25:21 +0000
> Russell King <rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Last weekend I upgraded my old Thinkpad from Fedora Core 2 to F9
> > (a 2.6.9 kernel to a 2.6.25 kernel).  The old 2.6.9 kernel was
> > using the IDE drivers, and there have been no issues with IDE on
> > this hardware until this upgrade.
>
> Can you double the timeouts for block I/O commands. The libata core uses
> 30 second timeouts for a lot of stuff and some PATA drives really do want
> 60.
>
> Other than that there really isn't any difference in the settings the two
> drivers use as they are all written up exactly in the Intel docs.

I'm not sure that lengthening the timeout is going to help - with
the older IDE drivers, I've never had the laptop wait on disk IO
for longer than about 5 seconds even when the disk has been spun
down.

Is this timeout parameter is only changeable by rebuilding the kernel?

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: