Re: Assistance with error

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Rusty Conover wrote:

Hello Linux IDE Guys,

I'm encountering this error after a few days of decent load on the disks:

Its always on the same device sdd, I've swapped out the physical disks and the error persists. Do you have any ideas what the cause could be? I've checked connections, could it be a bad SATA cable?

The full dmesg output is available at:

http://www.infogears.com/disk-failure.log

Kernel is:

Linux version 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686.PAE (mockbuild@) (gcc version 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Oct 17 1
4:38:28 EDT 2008

The FAQ mentions power issues being a possibility but I'm not sure if there is a way to tell if that is the cause since it it always the same device in a 6 device array.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Try disabling NCQ on the drives, I get the same/similar NCQ errors if I have
it enabled, on some drives, it just does not work.

# Define DISKS.
cd /sys/block
DISKS=$(/bin/ls -1d sd[a-z])

# Disable NCQ on all disks.
echo "Disabling NCQ on all disks..."
for i in $DISKS
do
  echo "Disabling NCQ on $i"
  echo 1 > /sys/block/"$i"/device/queue_depth
done

Then, see if the same problem repeats itself, or if it occurs less often..

Justin.