Re: pata_via "frozen" DVD drive (TSSTcorp SN-S083A on EPIA EX15000)

On 15/10/2008, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The drive times out SEND_OPC and then never comes back.  The command
> is non-data command which just tells the drive to perform calibration,
> so there's nothing much the driver can do wrong about it.  It looks
> like the drive could have hardware problem performing OPC.  Can you
> test the drive under different operating system or different hardware
> configuration (different controller, different media, etc...)?

Thank you for your reply,

I tested the drive some more yesterday and found that it doesn't have
the same problem on CD-RW media. And the FujiFilm DVD-RW that causes
the problem it has no problem reading from. I'm not sure if it's just
that brand but it seems like it's a problem with the media. However,
it surprises me that bad media can cause the drive to fail into an
unrecoverable state. Looks like a cheap shitty device, atleast it
wasn't expensive :)

I can test the device under different OS/controller if you feel like
you need that information.

Best regards,
Jonas