Re: VIA SATA/PATA problem

Alan Hourihane writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I've got a VIA SATA/PATA PCI RAID card installed in a MIPS box, which
 > obviously doesn't run the BIOS on the card.
 >
 > When booting these messages appear....
 >
 > PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0a.3 (0000 ->
 > 0003)
 > sata_via 0000:00:0a.3: routed to hard irq line
 > 9
 > scsi0 :
 > sata_via
 > scsi1 :
 > sata_via
 > scsi2 :
 > sata_via
 > ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 port i16@0x1890 bmdma 0x1860 irq
 > 9
 > ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 port i16@0x18a0 bmdma 0x1868 irq
 > 9
 > ata3: PATA max UDMA/133 port i16@0x18b0 bmdma 0x1870 irq
 > 9
 > ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 8C8C8C8C SControl
 > 8C8C8C8C)
 > ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 8C8C8C8C SControl
 > 8C8C8C8C)
 > ata3: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status
 > 0x8c)
 > ata3: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
 >
 > Now, the 8C8C8C8C is suspicious because the card hasn't had the BIOS
 > executed, so something isn't getting initialized. As it's the same for
 > even the PATA port with 0x8c.
 >
 > Any ideas ?

None for VIA specifically, but I long ago had a similar (but
less severe) problem with a sata_promise card in a sparc64 box.
What I ended up doing was to
1. put the card in an x86 box, boot, and dump its PCI config
   space with lspci
2. put the card in the non-x86 box, boot, and dump its PCI config
   space with lspci
3. compare the PCI config spaces from steps 1 and 2, note any
   differences, and study manual/datasheet/driver to see what
   the diffs might mean
4. add missing initialisations to the Linux driver

/Mikael