Re: Re : Re : Re : dvd-9 trouble with TSSTcorp SH-S203D

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 16:28:59 +0000 (GMT)
Sébastien <willy_the_cat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for reply and follow the discuss.
>
> > Partial access to a movie file. I assume you've checked the disc in
> > question is not copy protected. We don't support decrypting copy
> > protected disks for all the obvious reasons.
>

> Don't know about what you talk, sorry.
> Is that you mean that I try a DVD-9 for Region 1, for instance, althrough that I have a DVD Reader for Region 3 and want to deal with all this ?
> No, not at all.
>
> DVD-9 bought in Europe as all material too.
> Suppose that DVD-CD* Cumbo is for Region 2, and all DVDs I have are legaly acquired and are all for Region 2 also.
> CD* and DVD-5 works perfectly.

There are two layers of DVD authentication on devices that choose it. The
first is region coding (which is irrelevant nowdays at least in europe as
everyone buys region free players or two drives). The second is CSS which
controls access at the sector level without a cryptographic handshake
between the drive and the DVD playing application. Without the CSS parts
of the media are errored by the drive firmware.

Alan