Re: [RFC] Separating out libata out of SCSI (finally)

Felix Miata wrote:
>> distro which uses libata now and in near future.  If the dynamic
>> partition thing goes well, hopefully the next major distro releases work
>> fine.
>
> I responded as I did due to your statement "only problem I can foresee is not
> being able to specify MAJ:MIN as root device", hoping to see some elaboration
> on the statement from you. I read your statement as "don't expect to be able
> to use any partition >15 as a root device". So, in the past root=3:17 would
> have been a valid replacement for root =/dev/hda17? If so, sorry for the
> noise, as I'd never seen that type of usage, and certainly would not miss it.

Oh.. the name, say, root=/dev/sda999 should work (well, that's the plan)
but as there will be no fixed mapping between /dev/sdaN and MAJ:MIN when
N > 15, root=MAJ:MIN just isn't possible for dynamically allocated ones.
 I hope it clarified things a bit.

Thanks.

--
tejun