Re: 2.6.25 semantic change in bay handling?

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 07:27:43PM +0200, Holger Macht wrote:

> Just to make clear that we agree on the design, if so, I'll try to provide
> a patch:
>
>  1. Dock event: libata immediately detaches the device
>
>     (libata will need another sysfs flag is_on_dock userspace can query)

Hm. I'm not absolutely certain about this. Do we get a bus check
notification after the dock has been removed? If so, I think it ought to
be handled the same way as the internal bay (ie, signal userspace and
let it clean up and destroy the device - if it fails to do so, then
destroy the device when the dock is actually removed, by catching the
bus/device check, calling the _STA method on the bay and destroying the
device if it's present)

>  2. Bay event: libata signals a BAY_EVENT through uevent, userspace writes
>     	       1 to /sys/.../device/delete

In the case of an eject request, yes. In the case of a bus or device
check, we should call _STA and then delete/hotplug the device as
appropriate.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx