Re: Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA DVD drive and sata_via

Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
Jeff,

I don't know where to start, and am asking for direction.

I bought an Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA DVD drive. I can blank CD-RWs with cdrecord, but can not burn a good CD-R or CD-RW with cdrecord or cdrdao from CLI or with K3B. I also can not burn a good DVD with growisofs.

I can burn just fine to my TSSTcorp DVD drive (it is PATA).

I'm using sata_via and pata_via ... no IDE stuff in the kernel. I've tried different kernel selections, but nothing works.

mingdao@silas:~$ uname -a
Linux silas 2.6.25.1-libata #1 PREEMPT Fri May 2 07:37:20 CST 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

mingdao@silas:~$ /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 01) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South] 00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80) 00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

I sent a request for help to cdrecord, and Jorge Schilling basically made excuses and blamed my media, my drive, and the Linux kernel. He offered nothing technical whatsoever.

I updated the firmware in the drive, and have built the latest cdrtools and dvd+rw-tools.

Perhaps this Asus DVD burner is not even supported. I've read sata_via.c and LKML and every hit on Google and <Linux> Google.

If you could just tell me what to do to submit a possible bug report or request for support, I would be grateful.

And though my knowledge is not real deep, I will do anything you ask from here to work with you on this ... if it's even something you have one minute of time for.

Can you show full 'dmesg' output, including (a) everything from boot and (b) an attempt to burn a CD with cdrecord and (c) an attempt to burn a DVD with growisofs

Full lspci would also be nice (I don't think the above is all of it, is it?)

If you want to collect stupid amounts of [quite helpful] debug output, you may s/undef/define/ on the following lines of include/linux/libata.h in the kernel:

#undef ATA_DEBUG                /* debugging output */
#undef ATA_VERBOSE_DEBUG        /* yet more debugging output */

If you are seeing error messages, this helps understand them:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_error_messages

Regards,

	Jeff