Re: libata .sg_tablesize: why always dividing by 2 ?

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 08:09 -0800, James Bottomley wrote:
> > The iommu code makes no guarantee vs. preserving the alignment of a
> > segment, at least not below PAGE_SIZE.
>
> It's supposed to, precisely to forestall this case.  The alignment
> guarantees of the parisc iommu code are sg length aligned up to a fixed
> maximum (128k on 32 bit and 256k on 64 bit because of the way the
> allocator works).   However, tomo's code is fixing this, so it shouldn't
> be a problem much longer.

It will be. If we start enforcing that alignment, pSeries machines will
continuously run out of iommu space when the BIO starts handing out
large chunks.

Not acceptable for us. I suspect x86_64 will have a similar problem as,
afaik, the IOMMU space is very scarce there.

Can you guys stop designing the whole IO layer around PA-RISC ?

Ben.

-