Re: libata .sg_tablesize: why always dividing by 2 ?

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Mark Lord wrote:
Jeff,

We had a discussion here today about IOMMUs,
and they *never* split sg list entries -- they only ever *merge*.

And this happens only after the block layer has
already done merging while respecting q->seg_boundary_mask.

So worst case, the IOMMU may merge everything, and then in
libata we unmerge them again.  But the end result can never
exceed the max_sg_entries limit enforced by the block layer.

<shrug> Early experience said otherwise. The split in foo_fill_sg() and resulting sg_tablesize reduction were both needed to successfully transfer data, when Ben H originally did the work.

If Ben H and everyone on the arch side agrees with the above analysis, I would be quite happy to remove all those "/ 2".

This can cost a lot of memory, as using NCQ effectively multiplies
everything by 32..

I recommend dialing down the hyperbole a bit :)

"a lot" in this case is... maybe another page or two per table, if that. Compared with everything else in the system going on, with 16-byte S/G entries, S/G table size is really the least of our worries.
..

Well, today each sg table is about a page in size,
and sata_mv has 32 of them per port.
So cutting them in half would save 16 pages per port,
or 64 pages per host controller.

That's a lot for a small system, but maybe not for my 4GB test boxes.

If you were truly concerned about memory usage in sata_mv, a more effective route is simply reducing MV_MAX_SG_CT to a number closer to the average s/g table size -- which is far, far lower than 256 (currently MV_MAX_SG_CT), or even 128 (MV_MAX_SG_CT/2).

Or moving to a scheme where you allocate (for example) S/G tables with 32 entries... then allocate on the fly for the rare case where the S/G table must be larger...
..

Oh, absolutely.. that's on my "clean up" list once the rest of
the driver becomes stable and mostly done.  But for now, "safety and correctness is far more paramount" in sata_mv.  :)

Cheers
-