Re: JMicron - hard resetting link

I seem to have a bug with JMicron controller in a Gigabyte
GA-N680SLI-DQ6 motherboard.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2460

Kernel is 2.6.24.
10 on-board SATA connectors, 2+4*JMicron 20360/20363 + 4*nVidia MCP55
2*200GB disks (System - SW RAID1) on the JMicron controller and
8*500 (Data - SW RAID6) - 4 on the JMicron, 4 on the nVidia controller.

Under heavy load the JMicron controller gets exceptions, then eventually
"hard resetting link".
All 4 disks/connector, one after another. This of course "kills" the RAID

It shouldn't kill the RAID.  Hmmm... The log is truncated.  Can you
please post full kernel log spanning from boot to array death?

RAID "dies" because controller dies, then it loses 4 disks out of 8...
Actually, the server last time was up and running for 2 months.
Then when it failed the 1st time, I did some tests and it went on for
3 days, including building the raid and heavy test file copy.
The full log from the 1st relevant error message till the death of
the array is here:
http://www.huweb.hu/maques/tmp/jmicron/syslog

Move half of the drives to the new PSU and see whether the problem goes
away.

This is a new server, with a Chieftec GPS650AB, 650W PSU in it.
Though AFAIK a harddisk consumes around 10W, and I will try to use
more than one PSU-s.
The main problem is that I can't immediately see if it helps or not.
Even if it will work without this problem for a week, I can't be sure it
still will in 2 months...
Because of this - and because I believe that this problem related to the HW
(motherboard, chipset) - I'd rather just throw away the MB and use an
other one with two extra 4 port SATA cards.

Thanks,
Gabor
-