Re: AHCI driver preferring nr_ports over port map

Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Yes, we can be more smart if necessary.  I don't know.  The hardware is
>> clearly violating the spec which requires those two values to agree.
>
> So are you saying the ESB2 spec is violating a higher level spec? I know
> almost nothing about AHCI, so please forgive that question...

n_ports and PI should agree with each other.  That's what the ahci spec
requires.  If ESB2 spec has different opinion about n_ports, it's in
violation of AHCI spec but I don't think it explicitly state such
things, does it?

>> What status values are you seeing?  Hardware vendors usually don't get
>> n_ports wrong from the start, they probably have forgotten to decrement
>> it by one when one of the ports is plugged for some reason.  I bet the
>> silicon for the port is there and reporting offline PHY, right?
>
> This is output from our SLE10SP2 kernel, the output is similar for others:
>
> <6>scsi2 : ahci
> <6>ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
> <6>scsi3 : ahci
> <6>ata4: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
> <6>scsi4 : ahci
> <6>ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 4 SControl 300)
> <6>scsi5 : ahci
> <6>ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 0)
>
> Even the message relating to ata5 seems a little dubious to me, as it's
> not in sync with what the other unused ports say (and also not in sync
> with what I see on other boxes - SStatus is always 0 for such ports).

I'd like to see more output including leading controller detection but
yeah, it seems there's no silicon implemented for the last port.  The
SStatus value 4 indicates that PHY is offline which usually happens when
the PHY is turned off from SControl.  Hmm... weird.  How many ports does
the machine actually have?  I agree we'll need to adjust PI handling for
the controller.

Thanks.

--
tejun