Re: CompactFlash and HD unhappy together on the same IDE channel

Alan Cox wrote:
The solution is beginning to look more and more obvious:  default to not use MDMA
modes for CF devices at boot.  And eventually provide a sysfs or libata parameter
(or support/snoop SET_XFER_MODE) to change the mode later.

I strongly disagree.

We need to understand *why*, we need to fix any actual bugs we have.
Lots and lots of people have no problems here. The people with problems
and pure PATA all seem to have piix chips.

Well, there's a reasonable point.

But when we see a CF card on a *SATA* controller, we *know* there's a bridge chip
in there someplace, and we know that the common bridges don't do MWDMA.

Cheers
-