Re: CF as IDE on ICH6M using libata

On 03/09/07, Eddie Hung <eddie.hung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/09/07, Tejun Heo <htejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The report mechanism is simple and the controller doesn't have much to
> > do with it.  Bridge chip may affect it but I'm doubtful.
>

> > > My X41 has a 1.5Ghz P4M, and a 0.1MB/s hit (if it is using PIO) is
> > > hardly going to make a dent - I'm fairly sure that it is spending most
> > > of its time waiting for IO, but I shall take a deeper look tonight.
> >
> > The beautiful thing about PIO is that it doesn't matter how fast your
> > cpu is.  Faster CPUs will just burn more cycles while transferring data
> > at the same measly speed. :-)
>
> Ahh yes, that makes sense - it's more about the time it takes rather
> than the cycles consumed...
>
> > > What's confusing me is that my 40MB/s card only supporting MWDMA2 -
> > > which offers only a max transfer rate of 16.7MB/s - how have other
> > > people achieved 30MB/s then!?! (I'm referring to an ICH8 user who
> > > claims he has here, with a very similar CF card:
> > > http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/6818048.html
> >
> > Whatever the device is, it should support UDMA to do 30MB/s.  MWDMA2
> > just can't reach that speed electronically.
>
> Sorry, I was implying that he mustn't be using MWDMA to achieve them
> sort of speeds, and indeed from his hdparm -I he is not. I'm currently
> in touch with an X41 user who has reported success with a different CF
> card, who is getting 35MB/s and 0.2ms access time under Windows
> *drool*
>
> > > Also, does libATA support the PIO5 and PIO6 modes, which according to
> > > Wikipedia are not part of the ATA standard, but the CF 2.0 standard?
> > > (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmed_input/output )
> >
> > I dunno much about those fancy PIO modes.  Maybe Alan knows?
>
> From the wiki article, I get the impression that the faster PIO modes
> are simply lower cycle times, with everything else more or less the
> same - so that shouldn't be too hard to add if it's not already there?
> More importantly I guess, I wonder if hdparm -I supports the detection
> of pio5 or pio6? I'll dig into the sources later.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eddie

I am pursuing another possibility: the CF card is not a genuine
Sandisk one at all, especially as it was off eBay! I compared my
hdparm -I with the one in the thread above (which as I've found out is
a Sandisk Extreme II 4GB) and there are big differences, namely the
model number, serial number and firmware version.

This might explain everything!

Eddie
-