Re: libata equivalent for hdX=remap63

Alan Cox wrote:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:26:29 +0600
"Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

sorry if this is a FAQ, but googling for "libata remap63" gives nothing useful.

Some old computers need software like "Ontrack Disk Manager" in order to see large disks in the other OS. The way to deal with such setup in Linux was to add "hdX=remap63" to the kernel arguments. However, I cannot find the equivalent of this option in the new libata-based drivers. Could you please show how to migrate such systems to libata without removing the disk manager?

The remap63 hack is ancient. Since the kernel acquired device mapper its
also unneccessary as you can use device mapper to set up a 63 sector
offset volume.

I'm amazed anyone is still using it but the right way to handle it on a
vaguely modern system isn't more kernel hacks but to teach dmraid to
handle it. If you've got an example of what the layout looks like
(especially if there is a way to autodetect it) then talk to Heinz (cc'd)
about getting it added to dmraid.

Thanks Alan,

this is actually not my system, but a system of a user of my Live CD. I already asked him to mail me the first megabyte of his hard disk, but let me wait 24 hours for a reply. Would this information be enough for adding support for this into dmraid?

As for autodetection, I am really not sure. The user says that kernels prior to 2.5.70 had this autodetection built-in.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
-