hard drive ioctl's

Hi, I'm learning hard disk ioctl's. I looked into hdreg.h, ide.c, in the ide task
file source codes, I have read the ATA ANSI standards, but there are some things
that I don't really understand. Can somebody give me some hints, good books, tutorials,
related to this problem of mine ?. Or if you don't have time for this please give
me just an example how can I download a hard disk microcode with the
WIN_DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE command

Thanks
  Kantor