Re: Still having problems with sata_promise on all late kernels

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:54:52 +0900, Tejun Heo wrote:
>Brad Campbell wrote:
>> Tejun Heo wrote:
>>
>>> ATA bus error is a strong indicator for hardware problem.  Please get a
>>> separate power supply (doesn't have to be an expensive one), power it up
>>> [1], and connect some of the drives to the power supply and see whether
>>> errors persist on those drives.
>>>

>> 2 separate tests with the 2 troublesome drives, each time with both
>> drives on a different power supply unit. Also tried new cables from a
>> different manufacturer.
>>
>> It ain't the cables and it ain't the power.
>
>I see.  Thanks.  I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.  Mikael?

The box was described as a KT600 chipset era machine
with 3 Promise SATA150TX4 cards, a SIL3112 card, and
an on-board VIA controller. According to the `lspci'
posted the box probably also has an AGP card and at
least one gigaether card (there's two, I guess one might
be built-in).

All in all, a rather heavily loaded (in terms of power,
cooling, and the PCI bus) box (for a desktop chipset).

I've never seen the SATA150-generation cards misbehave,
so at this point I have to assume that it's a system
limit issue, be it PCI, power, or cooling.

/Mikael
-