Re: AMD64 dma_alloc_coherent crashes on non PCI device (was SATA open bugs)

> Where does the device come from? What device is it?

At the higher level someone passed us a device and some mappings and
function methods and said "this is an IDE controller"

> Is that known already?

The core code has no idea or interest in where it came from.

> But at least on x86-64 the device is likely DMA capable. At least
> PCMCIA usually is.  Near all devices are DMA capable, except perhaps

PCMCIA usally isn't.

> So if I return NULL then either a really DMA capable device will
> not work. Or you got a real oddball device that you shouldn't have gotten
> in the first place.

What about other platforms ? I don't want libata to have

#ifdef CONFIG_X86_64
	/* this platform is different)
	if (hack-around-in-dev-struct())
		return NULL;
#endif

All I want is

	This is a device, the caller has said it may be DMA capable
	dma_alloc_coherent
		NULL. ok in this situation it isn't

I don't want to know about arch internals. I don't want to know about
platform specific DMA rules. I just want to be able to ask for DMA and
get told yes or no. Oops is not a useful error return.
-