Re: libata-core.c: ata_fill_sg() ... sanity check on arithmentic ?

Alan Cox <alan <at> lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

>>> The specification says that 0x0000 means 64K. A couple of controllers do
>>> get this wrong and we did recently add a second sg list builder for those.
>>>
>>> Perhaps a comment or two is in order ?
>>> -
>>
>> Thanks - but which specification is this ?
>>
>> As far as I am aware there is no spec for DMA controllers running ATA.
>
> SFF 8038i covers the standard taskfile IDE class PCI device interface for
> PIO and DMA. It also covers the alternate ADMA interface.
>
>> Since DMA controller details may vary according to hardware, I
>> would have expected that ata_fill_sg() would be one of the overloadable
>> function entries with a driver-specific function that knew about
>> the DMA controller niceties, and how to stuff a sg entry.
>
> It is -n ot directly however but by overloading qc_prep. That makes more
> sense than overloading fill_sg as not all controllers fit a simple
> SFF like scatter/gather list model in the first place.
>
> Alan
> -

Thanks for clarifying - as you say, the spec is specific to PCI.
Our silicon has its own host interface which was confused by a length of zero !
Overloading qc_prep seems the way to go here.
As you say, some comments may be in order !

Regards,
MikeW

-